St. James’ Bicentennial Quilt

At the time of the founding of St. James’ Church and throughout most of its existence, women have created patchwork quilts, not as works of art, but as a thrifty way of using every scrap of fabric that entered a household. It was also a way to add color to a home, and sometimes it served as an album for friendship or family life.

It was in that spirit that it was decided to make a commemorative quilt for the church's Bicentennial, honoring the people, events and various aspects of church life during its 200-year history. This was not an artistic endeavor, but in the same manner a woman in 1811 might sew a “fancy,” the quilt is to be used for display, rather than as a bed cover.

Thanks to the following people who made this project possible: the quilters (named in paretheses in each square description); border cutter Paul Littlefield, and Leslie Quick, Wilma Tully, and Patty Caswell.

Click on each square thumbnail to zoom the image.

The Parish House: When the quilters came together to think about what best illustrated our Parish House, the Epiphany Pageant won out! (Janet Bright)
The Labyrinth: A part of the beloved Meditation Garden, it has fascinated the children of the parish. This square was designed and executed by a 12 year old and we are in awe. (Skye O'Halloran)
“Bless the Work of Our Hands”: An homage to the Outreach Committee. Their many missions would require a quilt of their own. (Christina Wardell)
Honor Those Who Serve: Everyone who brings their heart, hands and skills to service at St. James’. (Deirdre Mae Micker)
Altar Guild: The first square made in recognition of the people who have, since 1811, made the sacraments beautiful. (Deirdre Mae Micker)
Father Chuck: How better to honor him than by remembering his beloved tuba! (Suzann Kinne)
Father Gordon L. Kidd: April 2, 1898 - Nov. 6, 1986. The father of Gloria Kidd Golden and Rector of St. James’ from 1946 to 1966. He volunteered as Chaplain in WWII at the age of 45, completing Chaplain School March 8, 1943 - May 9, 1943 and serving aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Father Chuck tells us priests at St. James’ are measured against his standard. (Deirdre Mae Micker)
Sunday School: And all of the other programs that bring their voices to our ears. (Christina Wardell)
The Reading Room Door: The Reading Room is the oldest building still standing at St. James’ (1833). It has served many purposes, among them as an infant school and a library. (Lynne Koch)
Choir: The choristers spend many hours enhancing services.
St. James’ Chapel: Franklin Roosevelt was baptized here March 20, 1882, tradition says because the chapel was heated in the winter and the church was not. It has recently been returned to its original beauty by a gift from John and Gloria Golden. (Lynne Koch)
Dr. Samuel Bard: The force behind the founding of St. James’, he is buried in our churchyard. Our first priest married his daughter. (Diane Webb)
The Nursery School: One of the ways St. James’ serves the Hyde Park community. (Mary Gabel)
Tabitha: A creation of Bobbie Wells, Tabitha reigns supreme under the lectern. Her many antics in Bobbie Wells’ book, "Church Tails" has been a source of pleasure for all of us. (Sue DeLorenzo)
Mouse Square: The resident mice in the Parish Hall completed a mouse-sized square, representing the symbol of St. James’. The Sunday School children delivered it to be added to the quilt. (Sue DeLorenzo)
Towel Camp: A mission that Father Chuck has introduced to our Youth Group. The teens travel to Appalachia to help keep people in their homes and do other hands-on projects. (Diane Webb)
Civil War: As in all wars, death made no distinctions. The scion of an influential Hudson Valley family died at Gettysburg as a second lieutenant at the age of 20. (Joanne Lown)
St. James’ Church: As it stood before the Meditation Garden was installed. (Suzann Kinne)
The Roosevelt Crest: "He who plants, survives." Originally the rose bushes were planted on a grassy mound. President Roosevelt modified them to crossed roses. (Carol Vinall)
The Gates to the Meditation Garden: A tree of life design on the way to Eternal Life. (Joanne Lown)
9-11-2001: Paul Tegtmeier was a member of the Roosevelt Fire Company, Badge Number 136, from the time he was 16. His dream job was with the New York City Fire Department. At the time of the attack on the World Trade Center he was a Probationary Firefighter in FDNY. (Deirdre Mae Micker)
Our Bicentennial Logo: (center) The sheild is similar to the Episcopal Church USA shield. The red cross on a white field is St. George's Cross, which recalls our link to the Church of England, mother church of the Anglican Communion. The symbolism of the colors: (Red) the sacrifice of Christ and Christian martyrs, (White) the purity of the Christian faith, and (Blue) the humanity of Christ received from the Virgin Mary. They are also the colors of the American flag. The difference is in the blue quadrant, where our shield has the Jerusalem Cross, which recalls our church's namesake, St. James the Just, the brother of our Lord and Bishop of Jerusalem. (Deirdre Mae Micker)