Historic Graveyard Tours
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
2017 Tour Dates: October 6&7, 13&14, and 20&21
Join Us This Fall -- 2017 is our 8th Season!
As seen on Ken Burns’ “The Roosevelts”!
HISTORICAL CHARACTERS FOR 2017
• John Savage Hawley (1836-1913): Inventor, candy manufacturer, and founder of a school for wayward boys, John was a modern day Renaissance man.
• Rebecca Brien Howland Roosevelt (1831-1876): The first wife of James Roosevelt (Franklin's father) and mother of Franklin's older half-brother, "Rosy".
• Gertrude Livingston Lowndes (1805-1883): A granddaughter of New York's 3rd governor, Morgan Lewis, Gertrude married the scion of a powerful South Carolina family before the Civil War.
• Sturges Allen, OHC (1850-1929): A founding member of the Order of the Holy Cross, Father Allen became a missionary in Liberia.
• David Johnston (1812-1872): Grandson of Samuel Bard who was crippled as a child, David became a noted cameo carver.
• Frances Allen Sparks (1807-1835): Sunday School teacher at St. James', artist, and 1st wife of historian and essayist Jared Sparks.
COME HEAR ALL OF THEIR STORIES!
The tour is an hour long, rain or shine. In the event of severe weather, a cancellation notice will be posted on the website with a make-up date.
Suitable for ages 5 and over. We offer family-friendly living history tours, with tour guides and actors dressed in period costume. These are not haunted tours and are not meant to be scary.
Please wear clothing and shoes appropriate to the weather and the terrain. October evenings can get cold, and the ground is uneven.
NO PETS. Service animals only.
No Flash Photography. Flashlights are welcome.
By Reservation Only.
Tickets are $20 Adults; $10 Children 12 and under. Price includes all fees. All major credit cards accepted for online orders.
If you are unable to purchase your tickets using our online system, please call the parish office at 845-229-2820. A limited number of phone-in orders can be accommodated per tour, payable in advance by check or cash only.
Questions about tours or ticket orders can only be handled during office hours: Tuesday - Friday from 8:30 am - 2:30 pm.
All orders are final. We regret we are unable to hold spaces without payment.
All proceeds benefit the on-going ministry and outreach of St. James’ Episcopal Church.
LIMITED MOBILITY INFO
This is a walking tour with limited lighting conducted off-path through our 200-yr. old churchyard. Unfortunately, it is not appropriate for wheelchairs, strollers, or walkers.
FOR MOBILITY CHALLENGED INDIVIDUALS: A GOLF CART WILL BE AVAILABLE AT NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR THE 7:00 AND 8:00 TOURS. RESERVE THRU THE OFFICE ONLY. One adult needs to accompany a child using this service.
4526 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park, NY 12538 (across from the Vanderbilt National Historic Site)
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
We want to thank our individual and community sponsors for their generous support of our graveyard tours. Please call the office at 845-229-2820 if you would like information on how to become a sponsor.